Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cotopaxi


On August 3rd a few of use took a trip to the volcano Cotopaxi. Don´t worry it´s dorment, though the trip did start out exciting when we all got off the bus on the side of the road and I noticed one missing to our group. I ran after the bus as it was pulling away and in my ¨2 year old¨ Spanish got the bus to stop and we woke up Sophia. The bus had a good chuckle.
Though cold and windy Cotopaxi is beautiful. We had a guide drive us around the park and show us sites then we drove up the mountain side to the parking area which is 4,600 meters. We then preseded to walk up to the first refuge. Only 200 meters away yet because of the altitude it took me an hour to walk straight up sandy volcanic soil.
I actually felt like giving up a few times until the female guide said she would take my pack for me. So my delusion that I´m a hard ass kicked in and I eventually made it.
The view was incredible. Even the instant nasty hot chocolate I bought tasted good at that altitude.
The first refuge Jose Ribuys refuge at 4,800 meters is the first. People were camping there getting ready to hike higher. It was great to go and I learned something..... I have no desire to climb Mt. Everest or the summits of Cotopaxi.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your Cotopaxi photos. Fortunate for your friend that you noticed her absence & were willing to run after a bus, yelling in "2-year old" Spanish...who knows where she would have ended-up. Your really accumulating some adventures!

    ReplyDelete